Wednesday, March 18, 2020

Day 6 of SARS-CoV-2 Diary

The Study Day

Today's highlight was the first online course day. The majority of my professors have turned out to be rather passive, but one professor (hi Joonas!) takes it seriously and doesn't refer us to 'just look at the slides and here is an interesting article'.
I got up at 5:30AM to read an article and summarize it. I finished at 8AM. I thought I would have time later in the morning to read the second article, too. But! There is a fail in this idea of homeschooling. It doesn't actually work if you don't have an adult watching over the shoulder of a pre-teen. I know, that she doesn't take her studying seriously - individual learning is hard, I know, but there is not even an effort from her side. because the external structure (school lessons, teachers) fell off, she doesn't do it. Unfortunately, our teacher is also very traditional, so the tasks are like any other homework. No digging deep, no investigating, no elaboration. Sucks! The best way to kill curiosity is to make this world dull.
My own lectures were challenging. First, keeping the attention on the lecture was hard. Putting a machine between humans immediately takes away the fascination we have towards each other's body language, facial expressions, and movement. It all becomes much more monotone, though the people have not changed since last we met in class. I have noticed this before as well. You may really care for your friends, but when you talk to them through a device you are only half invested in them.
Another curious point to note is, that the students were much more talkative and ready to give an opinion in an online class. The chat was active, questions were asked, discussions were started. Is there something in being one-to-one that puts people off from saying their minds?
4 hours of online classes were tough though. I find regular school days much kinder to my energy levels.

No comments: