Monday, March 16, 2020

Day 4 of SARS-CoV-2 diary

The Emotional Overload Day

I had such a hard day concentrating today. The kids complied with the rules exceptionally well. Of course, Lea still took every chance to turn to her iPad - this time allocation will have to be curbed, despite the fact that she was talking to her friends on it. Schoolwork isn't much for her as well. Hopefully, it'll increase, cause having just a few exercises doesn't do the trick for actual learning.

Me on the other hand, despite the silence for so many hours, I couldn't concentrate and start my tasks.  I finished only one of 3 I thought I would be doing today. I just battled with myself and then gave in, battled and gave in.

I got kids to bed and then the tears came. I had read stories from Italy, the good ones and the heartbreaking ones. I thought I had brushed them aside, but they stuck somewhere deep. Then while I posted an image of my mom reading a newspaper and my cat sleeping next to her, the sudden realization washed over me. She is over 60. She is robust, sporty, healthy - but still, she is in that age group which is the hardest hit. This was something that had slipped my attention before. Or actually, it hadn't sunk in. The emotional realization truly connected me to the whole world - of those in the battle, of those trying to weather it out, of those who are waiting for the storm to hit, of those unaware of the damage this will do.

At the same time, I still and every minute, believe that THIS is the chance for humankind to mend its ways, to start truly living and not consuming, to start caring and sharing, to start being a gardener of this planet.

On the good news, I am not using every trick in my treasury to make sure we don't waste food. Not that it will run out, but I don't want to go to supermarkets. And I can't order, cause all the delivery slots are full for more than a week. So, I make everything count, don't waste any. Hey, I even started saving carrot and onion tops, external leaves of leaks etc. for making a vegetable broth later. All nicely frozen. Always knew about it, finally doing it!

Tomorrow is another day, so I will have another go at being productive. I wouldn't want to waste this opportunity to do things I WANT to do.

Spring is coming, too. It's so beautiful. 

No comments: